Sunday, September 11, 2016

Maine Lighthouse Ride

This weekend, I participated in the Maine Lighthouse Ride which is the main fundraiser for The Eastern Trail in southern Maine. About 1200 riders had the option to cycle routes ranging from 25 to 100 miles. I haven't been spending as much time on the bike as I would have liked so I picked the 40 mile option. The 40 route would take me though South Portland, Scarborough and Cape Elizabeth with the final 10 miles being the hilliest. So Cruel! I thought the distance was long enough to challenge me and the route also provide an opportunity to see eight of southern Maine's lighthouses. I have to admit I must have not paid close attention to my surroundings and can't recall seeing that many. It was still a great day to be outdoors and it was my longest ride so far. 

Route Map.

40 mile riders lining up for the early morning start.

Civil War fort in Portland Harbor.

Spring Port Lighthouse in Portland

Posing with Bug Light in the background. Can shorts still be called shorts if they are below your knees?

 Taking a break at Ferry Beach in Scarborough.

Looking back at Pine Point Beach, I think.

Approaching Prounts Neck.

Taking another break at Higgins Beach. 

I have to come back here another time for a swim.

Entering Cape Elizabeth.

One of two Lighthouses in Cape Elizabeth.

I believe this is Cape Elizabeth Light West.

One of the many coves along Shore Road.

I know I'm slow but no need to rub it in.

Ride on!





No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...