Friday, January 6, 2023

Chipping Away The East Coast Greenway

The East Coast Greenway (ECG) is a 3,000mile route passing through 15 states and the District of Columbia. Its southern terminus is in Key West, Florida and the northern terminus in Calais, ME on the Canadian border. Approximately one-third of the route is on protected bike paths and the remaining 2,000 miles on public roads. The goal is to have all 3,000 miles off-road. This would be an amazing accomplishment but it's a slow process. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

Over the past few years, I have biked a little over 10% of the route. In the beginning, this was by happenstance as I often rode bike paths that were part of the ECG route. In 2022, I made a conscious effort ride more of the greenway. In late September and early October in did overnight bike trips in Maine and Massachusetts and did another October ride in CT. To date, I have covered 315 miles of the ECG, including the spur trail to Cape Cod.

Below are sections of ECG I have completed in eight different states. New Hampshire is the only state where I have completed 100% of the route. So many more miles to go!

Southern-most point in continental USA to Florida Keys Heritage Trail - 5 miles.

Florida Keys Heritage Trail, Islamorada to Key Largo, FL - 23 miles.

Miami Beach, FL - 3 miles.

Charleston, SC - 4 miles.

Mt. Vernon Trail - Mt. Vernon to Alexandria, VA - 12 miles.

Farmington Canal Heritage Trail - Farmington to Simsbury, CT - 12 miles.

Blackstone River and East Bay Bike Paths - Bristol to Woonsocket, RI - 28 miles.

Cape Cod Canal Trail - Buzzard Bay to Bourne, MA - 5 miles.

Cape Cod Rail Trail - Yarmouth to Wellfleet, MA - 31 miles.

Upper Charles Trail - Milford to Sherborn, MA - 9 miles.

Wayland, MA to Portland, ME - 183 miles.

I hope to ride an additional 300 miles of the greenway in Maine this year. This could take the form of a point-to-point ride from Portland to Calais or a Portland-Bangor-Augusta-Portland loop.
 I'm leaning towards the loop route but don't have a firm plan at this time. There's much planning to be done for a ride this long. I guess that's what winters are for.

Possible Maine ride in 2023.

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...