Thursday, November 24, 2022

Riding The Farmington Heritage Canal Trail

In late October, I ventured to Central Connecticut for a two day exploration of the Farmington Heritage Canal Trail. In the 1800s, the canal extended for 82 miles from New Haven Connecticut to North Hampton, Massachusetts. As with other canals of that time period, it was rendered obsolete with the introduction of railroads. The Farmington Trail is now a 56 mile mixed-use path running from New Haven to the Massachusetts border in Suffield. 

From Bloomfield to the east, the East Coast Greenway connects to the Farmington Trail in Simsbury continuing south to New Haven and beyond. I decided to overnight in Simsbury, allowing me to ride south on day one and north on day two covering the majority of the trail. Both days were cold and windy but at least the sun was shining. The trail north of Simsbury is more scenic than the southern section and also has less street crossings.

Although it was past peak foliage, there were still some colors visible. I had a great time riding through forests, past farmlands and over rivers.  It's definitely worth a return trip in the future. Also, I recommend Rein's New York Style Deli just off Interstate 84 in Vernon, CT. I had an excellent pastrami and rye on my drive back to MA.

Taking a break at a shelter in Farmington. The East Coast Greenway trail marker overhead indicated 2,184 miles to Key West. Maybe I should have kept riding south? I'm not a fan of winter.

Crossing over the Farmington River. Water level is low due to summer drought.

View of Talcott Mountain from Avon. Heublein Tower is barely visible but if you look closely you'll see it.

Close-up of the tower and estate on Talcott Mountain. The interesting history of the tower can be found HERE.

A scenic stretch through the forest in Granby(?)

Beautiful farmland in Suffield.


Potato field in Southwick MA. Fall harvest was in full swing.

Some unexpected artwork inside a Southwick porta-potty. I don't know if this Link is the same one I found on Etsy.

And this one on the outside of a porta-potty in East Granby. I know my artist friend Emily would have had a witty comment if she saw this. Hats off to the unknown artist!

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...