Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Biking The Bay Circuit Trail - Northern Terminus to Prospect Hill (Day 1)

It’s been nearly twelve years to the day when I started my journey to run the length of the 230-mile Bay Circuit Trail (BCT). The adventure didn’t go exactly to plan, but I eventually completed the entire trail. Now, here I stand at the northern terminus of the BCT at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, about to attempt my second end-to-end adventure from Newburyport to Kingston. Unlike last time, I will not be traveling by foot, but instead by bicycle. With practically zero mountain biking experience, this will be a challenging ride (also because I don’t own a mountain bike 😳).

The official northern terminus of the Bay Circuit Trail

Overview of route - Red indicates paved, blue is unpaved

There is conflicting information on the BCT website with regards to the Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm. The interactive map shows the bike route passing through the farm, but the trail description indicates "bicycles not allowed." I choose to bypass the farm, departing the visitor center parking lot onto Ocean Avenue. It wasn't long before I was passing Tendercrop Farm on busy Route 1A. Tendercrop Farm was once home to the only buffalo on the BCT. Buffy the buffalo passed about four months after I visited her on my 2011 run of the BCT. 

 Buffy is now grazing on the big prairie in the sky (photo from 2011 run)

When I saw a domed house mentioned in the trail guide, I knew it was just a matter of feet before I would turn left into Old Town Hill Reservation. Little's Trail in the reservation would have been ridable even for me but I was on my Trek 7000 with road touring tires and was concerned I could slip when cornering as the trail was covered with dry leaves. I decided to hike-a-bike for the 0.8 miles through the woods. I felt it was good practice for all the future hike-a-bikes I would be doing over the next 200 miles.

The not-so-famous domed house on the BCT

It was dry in Old Town Reservation 

The 35 mph wind gusts slowed my progress as I peddled through the open expanse of the Newbury Salt Marsh and over a bridge spanning the Little River. The salt hay here is harvested year-round and is used as mulch for landscapers and gardeners throughout New England. After crossing Little River a second time, I began the steep climb up Old Town Hill. I was able to ride some of the approach to the summit but had to walk once the grade hit 14%. Once I reached the summit, I rode a short distance on the Ridge Trail before dismounting again for the -22% descent down Switchback Trail. Yes, I was getting really good at this hike-a-bike thing!

Little River and the salt marsh beyond

The only view of the day. Atop Old Town Hill with the town of Newburyport and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance.

Coming down Switchback Trail with a blowdown ahead. There was no way around it, so I had to lift my bike over one limb and under the other.

The remainder of the ride was uninspiring to say the least; a 5.5-mile ride on Route 1A south to Prospect Hill in Rowley. At least there was a one-foot-wide shoulder to give me a false sense of safety.

Total distance - 10.3 miles
Paved - 7.8 miles
Unpaved - 2.5 miles
Elevation gain - 662 feet
Max grade - 14.2%
High point - Old Town Hill, 162 feet
Towns traversed - Newburyport, Newbury, Rowley
Green spaces visited - Old Town Hill Reservation

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...