With only nine weeks to go before my first 50 mile attempt at the Stone Cat trail Races I thought I should devise a training plan to get me to the starting line. Up until now I have be winging it from week to week without any goals or plan in place. That worked fine for my 50K at the Green Lakes Endurance Runs but I don’t feel like it will work for Stone Cat. I think a more structured approach is better for the longer distance.
Of course this is just a plan and subject to change along the way. The biggest question mark I see right know is how my knee feels in the days and weeks ahead. Right now it’s still sore. I can run for about an hour before I feel pain in the left knee. It gets worse when running downhill to the point where I feel as though I am altering my stride. I’ve been icing it twice a day but haven’t tried stretching the IT band yet. I’m not even sure if it is the IT band but I suspect it.
Anyway, here is the plan by week.
- 40 miles, 14 mile long run, 3 x 1 mile intervals (50K recovery week #2)
- 45 miles, 20 mile long run, 3 x 1 mile intervals
- 50 miles, 24 mile long run, 3 x 1 mile intervals
- 50 miles, 20 mile long run, 10K trail race
- 40 miles, 18 mile long run, 4 x 1 mile intervals (recovery week)
- 50 miles, Mountain Madness 50K (as long training run)
- 35 miles, 15-18 mile long run or 15 mile trail race (taper week #1)
- 25 miles, 3 x 1 mile intervals, 15K race (taper week #2)
- 3 days easy running follow by 3 rest days (Race week!!)
I'm just not sure where I will find the time to do all this running!